Hammerhead VR is a Virtual Reality & Immersive Content studio. Over the last 18 months we have quickly established ourselves as one of the leading specialist real-time VR studios, with our work creating stories, games and experiences recognised internationally.
At the heart of everything we do is a dedication to creativity and technical innovation that pushes the boundaries to deliver truly exceptional VR experiences. We develop for all the leading PC, console, and mobile based VR platforms and are official developers for Oculus, PSVR, HTC Vive and OSVR.
Our studio is based Newcastle with a presence in London and we are enjoying rapid growth. We currently have a number of exciting projects, including entertainment titles and client applications. We are seeking talented, experienced artists, animators and developers to join our mission.
Hammerhead VR seek a highly experienced, skilled and passionate animator to help take our VR games and experiences to the next level. Working closely with our animation team, you will lead character based animation as well as inspiring and helping others in the team to develop their skills. Alongside these responsibilities you will also work with the dev and art teams to improve and develop a more efficient pipeline. This is a full-time role based in our Newcastle studio.
- Create stunning, high quality animations, that fit in with Hammerhead’s hyper-realistic style, for both bipedal and quadrupedal characters
- Create complex rigs that will be skinned to characters, suitable to be used in game engines
- Lead our animation team, delegating tasks and constantly working on improving our animation pipeline
- Imparting other members of the animation team with new skills, to help them improve their skillset and reach a higher standard
- Lead motion capture sessions, making sure we get the highest quality data and then assist in cleaning up the data
- Work seamlessly across multiple projects
- University degree in animation or a relevant subject, or have the equivalent industry experience.
- Advanced knowledge of Maya and 3DSMax.
- Experience with motion capture shoots and the pipeline from raw data to being polished.
- Be team-oriented and a natural leader.
- Have a high quality showreel, showcasing walk cycles, creature animation as well as prop animation.
- Experience with game engines, in particular, Unreal Engine 4 and animation blueprints.
- Ability to code in MEL or Maxscript.
- Familiarity with virtual reality and VR headsets.
- Passion for video games, films and other creative mediums.
Working closely with our technical team you will be responsible for supporting, maintaining and improving our internal IT and networking systems. You will be based in our Newcastle production studio ensuring the reliability of the technical infrastructure for our development team. You’ll also be building systems to better support our London team and other remote workers.
- Work closely with our development and commercial teams to ensure all their technical needs are being met
- Manage and improve network infrastructure and security (including building new WAN and VPN systems)
- Managing our source control services
- Monitor and improve our backup solutions
- Build and maintain office PC workstations
- Support offsite personnel
- Document and report on internal systems
- Experience with systems administration and technical support
- Experience with networking and security supporting both a central office and remote working environments
- Experience with source control servers (Preferably Subversion)
- Able to travel to support client or promotional events
- Must be able to manage and prioritise own workload and identify and act upon areas where internal processes and systems can be improved
- Knowledge of game development software including Unreal Engine, Unity, 3DS Max, Photoshop, ZBrush
- Familiarity with virtual reality head mounted displays and motion controllers
- Passion for video games, films and other creative mediums
- A degree in Computer Science, and/or extensive system administration history.
- Full UK driving license
A Different Role?
Have another skill to offer? We hire from all creative industries. If you have a revolutionary idea for a VR project get in touch and let us know what we’re missing.